Hands are the most hardworking organs of our body. It is our duty to take care of these in the best possible way. The creams available in the market are loaded with chemicals which may show some stunning results instantly but in the long run, are hazardous to our health. Different chemicals such as parabens, sulphates etc are added to preserve the cream for a longer duration. Moreover, artificial fragrances may cause irritation to sensitive skin.
It is always a better option to make your hand cream at home with the ingredients best suited to your skin. Coconut oil is one such product widely used in the culinary world but people are not aware of its beauty benefits. Here are some of the qualities of coconut oil which will persuade you to combine this magical constituent into the making of homemade hand cream. Always try to use raw or extra virgin coconut oil which contains all the good properties of coconut in your homemade hand cream lotion or any other skincare product to plan to prepare at home.
Benefits of using coconut oil on skin
- Anti-bacterial and anti-fungal – Coconut oil is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal which means that applying some strokes of the oil will eradicate the bacteria to give you an infection-free clean skin.
- Moisturizer – A great hydrating agent, coconut oil will lock moisture in your skin and prevent further dryness.
- Contains natural fats – It is a combination of natural fats including linoleic acid which is used to treat acne-prone skin and lauric acid which is anti-microbial.
- Sunscreen – SPF 8 is present in coconut oil which may not be enough to protect from scorching sun but still can be used during low sunlight. Besides, it is a natural sunscreen which also moisturizes so go ahead and apply a thin layer to your hands.
- Cuticle oil – Cracked cuticles can be soothed by applying coconut oil. It also reduces inflammation in the cuticle area. Manicures can be preserved for a longer duration through the use of this magic potion.
- Skin whitening – Coconut oil lightens the complexion by reducing pigmentation and hence revealing a younger looking supple skin.
- Treats eczema – Skin problems like severe eczema can also be treated by applying coconut oil generously.
- Night Cream – Thin layer of coconut oil applied on the skin at night can work wonders by removing the dead skin and healing inflamed tissues.
- Scrub – Sugar mixed with coconut oil is a great exfoliating agent. it not only removes the dead skin but also moisturizes hands.
- Soothing – Minor injuries can be treated by applying coconut oil. Small cuts or scratches on the skin can be soothed by applying a thin layer of this oil. It also helps in healing the wounds and stops permanent marks to appear on the skin due to injuries.
Now that we are fully aware of the benefits of coconut oil why not incorporate it in our hand cream so as to extract all its goodness into our hands. Here are some recipes of homemade coconut oil hand cream to help you stay moisturized all through the year.
- Grapeseed oil – 1/4th cup
- Coconut oil – 1/4th cup
- Cocoa Butter – 1/4th cup
- Aloe Vera gel – 1/6th cup
- Rosewater – 1/8th cup
- Beeswax – 1 tablespoon
- Mixing Bowl
- Containers to store
- Vegetable glycerin-
- Clean and sterilize all the tools involved in this process.
- Place a bowl over the pan which is half filled with water and turn heat to low.
- Pour in all the ingredients except vegetable glycerin and aloe vera.
- Mix in thoroughly and gently.
- When you notice that there are no air pockets and the wax has melted completely, switch off the flame and let the mixture cool down.
- After a few hours place the mixture in the fridge to ensure faster cooling.
- Pour vegetable glycerin, aloe vera and the cooled mixture in a blender and mix thoroughly until it achieves a texture.
- Store the mixture in a container of your choice and use whenever needed.
- Ensure that the container is dark in colour so that the cream does not come in contact with heat and light as this would affect its quality.
Vitamin E can be used in place of vegetable glycerin. It is used to promote faster healing of dry and chapped hands. Always use clean utensils otherwise the lotion may be tarnished and will not produce the desired results.
There is one more method stated below to incorporate this wonderful oil into your beauty care products and relish its numerous benefits.
- Coconut oil – 1/4th cup
- Almond oil – ½th cup
- Beeswax – 1/4th cup
- Vitamin E – 1 teaspoon
- Few drops of essential oil
- Heat a pan filled halfway with water and place a bowl inside it.
- Turn heat to low so as to avoid burning the ingredients.
- Incorporate almond oil, coconut oil and beeswax in the bowl and mix gently.
- Add essential oil when the wax melts.
- Store in an airtight and dark container.
Almond oil provides more nourishment to the skin and this lotion lasts for about six months if used wisely, since there is no use of water. This lotion can also be used for rashes on babies’ skin and to remove stretch marks so there are double benefits. These hand creams can be doubled as body butter or night cream and they will still do magic on your face and body.
Homemade hand creams are a saviour when it comes to long-lasting results and saving some bucks which might have been otherwise spent on buying chemical rich creams available in market making false claims about their performances. Do try making any of the above magic potions and relish the beauty of soft, smooth and youthful hands which anyone would envy.
If you do not have to create your organic hand cream, here we do detail reviews of hand cream.